Monday, December 3, 2012

Holiday Knitting Ideas-Week 5

This week our Holiday knitting inspiration is all about cowls and loops.  Most folks have made MANY scarves and cowls but I thought I would share a few of my favorites.  These make perfect gifts and there is still plenty of time to make a few.

Mountain Colors has several free patterns in this category.  Our Missoula Mobius is knit with 1 skein of Monarch, a soft-spun, slightly thick and thin, SUPER soft wool yarn.  This project is knit flat then joined with a twist when sewn together.  If you prefer a straight loop then just don't put in the twist!!
Missoula Mobius

Our Easy Moguls Scarf has a similar construction but it is designed for 2 skeins of Moguls.  Knit with 2 skeins of the same colorway or alternate two complimentary colors in an easy stripe sequence.  Then wear flat or make into a loop that you let hang straight or twist around your neck for a snuggly warm accent.  These make fast-to-knit gifts!!!  I have 2 skeins on my table waiting for me to knit one of these scarves.
Easy Moguls Scarf
Easy Moguls Scarf....twisted around neck
If you search on Ravelry you will find MANY free cowl patterns.  I made the Super Easy Cowl for a gift this year. I used our 4/8's Wool.  I have also made the Crofter's Cowl in Mountain Colors River Twist yarn. It is really soft and nice.

On my knit-for-me-soon list there is the Metamorph cowl and the City Creek Cowl .  I think I will use Crazyfoot for the Metamorph and 4/8's Wool for the City Creek Cowl.  I also have the Spiral Cowl in my queue. It calls for a Dk weight yarn so I will use our Weavers Wool Quarters.  This 100% Wool yarn is perfect for many projects.  One of our dyers is making a pair of Selbuvotter mittens with this yarn.

So grab your needles and a skein or two of yarn and cast on!

1 comment:

kctink said...

Your colors are incredible.
Someone has a great eye for Nature and her beauty.